Burn The Lady In White

My shrill scream echoed off the walls of my room. I was woken by the voices urging me to go into the kitchen. Well I know this isn't an urge to eat. Maybe she was down there again.

I threw some clothes on and started to go downstairs. I felt a cold breeze embrace my body, and I shivered.
Finally, I was a few steps from the kitchen. I took a deep breath and walked in. My eyes immediately went to the kitchen table. There she was.

She wasn't facing me, but I knew it was her. Her image flickered. Her black hair reached the ground, and her white dress was beyond repair with its dirt, blood, and scorch marks covering it. The ropes that restrained her looked old and demonic. She started to turn and I braced myself for what I already knew was there.

I sucked in a breath once she was completely facing me. Her face looked as if it were once beautiful. I could still see that she once had pale skin, sunken cheeks, and deep set eyes. But all of her features were hard to make out now. Her face was burned and scarred as if she had been tortured. I knew why she was tortured. She was a witch.

She didn't look at me as if she wanted help. She didn't look at me like was vengeful. She looked at me like she knew. I was a witch.

I had only recently discovered this.

She reached out to me, so I bravely moved toward her. I had never actually let her touch me before. Because she was a ghost, her hand was freezing and clammy. The moment she touched me, my mind was somewhere else. I saw her untimely death. She was judged for her practices. She retracted her arm from me, and looked at me. I knew. I was to never tell anyone that I was a witch.

Over the next year every night I dreamed of these odd symbols, and I knew they had to mean something. Then I met Tracy.

We had been best friends for months. One night we were spilling our deepest secrets when what Tracy started to say stopped me short.

"Vanessa. I don't want you to judge me. But I am a witch. I know because... a women in white appeared to me and told me. She told me not to tell anyone, but-but I had to tell you." Tracy said to me. I started to cry.

I told her everything. The women. Being a witch. Me.

By now we were both crying.

"What does this mean?"Tracy asked.

Then all of a sudden in the corner of the room, the lady in white appeared.

I had never heard her make a sound of any kind, but right then the lady said, "Shhhh, they are coming. Hide." and disappeared.

Then the lights flickered, and my room began to shake. Tracy and I looked at eachother and nodded. We willed our selves to be invisible, so we were.

The room was raided. Once the men who raided the room thought the girls weren't in there, they left.

Then they visible again.They knew. It would continue on like this. They would have to hide together.

"Thank you lady in white." they whispered together.

1 comments:

My personal favorite so far.

 

Post a Comment